Street Stories: The First Streets
Russell Street

In the plan put forward to the meeting of 1878 the western end of the street now called Russell Street was to be known as Crown Street, but the section from Chapel to Queen Street was changed to Russell Street, named after the architect-builder (and Borough Councillor) James Russell. The eastern portion, originally to be called Queen Street, was named Princes Street for a number of years, only to become part of Russell Street in a major renaming of streets in 1905.

Pic: James Russell