Cricket Street was one of the first streets named in Masterton, being given its official name in 1878. It earned ithis name from being the area of town where cricket was first played – in the 1860s, on land behind the Wairarapa Archive. Cricket Street originally formed part of a cross with the street now known as Park Street. Because of the shape of the street this was first known as Cross Street. The name was changed to Park Street in 1905.