Russell Street Simon

James Russell

James Russell

Russell Street

In the plan put forward to the meeting of 1878 the western end of the street now called Russell Street was to be known as Crown Street, but the section from Chapel to Queen Streets was changed to Russell Street, named after the architect-builder (and Borough Councillor) James Russell. The eastern portion, originally to be called Queen Street, was named Princes Street for a number of years, only to become part of Russell Street in a major renaming of streets in 1905.



Posted on

November 14, 2016