It was rather unusual that one family whose members have made a long term and significant contribution to Masterton should have had to wait until 1968 to have a street named after them. Charles and Emily Daniell arrived in New Zealand in 1880, immediately making their way to Masterton where Mr Daniell found work on the Waingawa railway bridge. The next few years were trying for the family, as jobs were desperately short in the small town, and Mr Daniell travelled many miles to work in the outlying country areas.
Eventually this paid dividends and in 1889 Daniell was able to purchase a section in Queen Street, where he opened an ironmonger’s shop. The business prospered and was soon occupying a large site between Queen Street and Chapel Street. C.E. Daniell was actively involved in the Methodist Church and in the Masterton Trust Lands Trust. His descendants continue to serve the town in various public capacities.