Another of the smaller of Masterton’s streets was named at this time – Cricket Street. This earned its name from being the area of town where cricket was first played – in the 1860s, on land behind the Wairarapa Archive. Cricket Street originally formed part of a cross with the street now known as Park Street. Because of the shape of the street this was first known as Cross Street. The name was changed to Park Street in 1905.